Saturday, May 1, 2010

Memorial Day 2009

By Douglas E. Pritchard

Today I was taping the National Memorial Day Concert. It made me sad to think that we had to celebrate the death of so many innocent boys who gave up their lives for our continued freedom. These are men who can never be paid enough for the sacrifice they made for us in the course of their young lives. As I watched our various patriotic songs being sung I felt sadness in my heart. My eyes starting to well up with tears as I thought of the great spirit that this country has which is unconquerable and ever strong. We have conquered the worst that hell can throw at us. We live unconquered in our hearts and minds. The great beauty of our country is that it gives its citizens the ability to think and live as they see fit.

I was also thinking of the flag and what it means to me. Years ago it was made possible for the flag to left up in any kind of weather, any time of day and never be removed from its pole. This shows that as we are strong our flag is strong also as it faces any indignity that can be thrown at it and still keeps waving. This country has existed for two-hundred and thirty-three years. During all that time we have lived under the same set of principles that we have always lived under. Our flag has always stood for those principles no matter what our national condition has been.

I am planning to observe Memorial Day 2010 much the same as I did last year. Our soldiers deserve nothing less than our total and heart felt gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment